Thursday, February 21, 2013

through the eyes of another...




   Beneath these bright, 
         cloudless skies 
crowning this luscious, green 
     country

  I sit

  under the shade of trees
  that rest 
    at the foot of the volcano...

turning a piece 
  of lava rock 
       in my scarred
but lovely hands,

 I observe its surface,
      porous & rough, 

while a gentle breeze 
     washes over me, 
kissing my dark
  skin
     & rustling the foliage 
above... 

  I close my eyes
      and breathe it in,
praying that it
   washes away the 
scars in my heart
       & on my body... 

  I can smell the lake
on the breeze... 

Lake Kivu, 
    
    both beautiful 
        & haunting, 

where thousands of 
   coffee farmers
drown every year
       attempting to 
smuggle their crops
    across the border
        after dark
to do business 
     in an economy 
better than their own... 


  Sounds of bodabodas 
        & horns, 
    the bustle of the 
            market, 
  & children playing
           in the distance

reach my ears... 

   There is much 
to be done...
     cooking, cleaning, 
  & taking care of 
     my younger siblings... 

but I had to 
     get away,
if only for a 
      moment... 


 I open my eyes
    & my gaze 
falls once
       again 
to the scars 
    that cover my body... 

scars from a group 
      of rebels
that passed through 
      our village, 

destroying our homes 
        & crops, 
 killing many, 
     attacking & raping
me and many 
     other girls

    who couldn't get
away fast enough, 
      first hiding 
their siblings
   & children they'd born
from past attacks...

  The flashbacks 
        force me 
to close my eyes
           once again,

 trying to blink the 
       memories away...

 I take a deep 
       breath
& slowly open
     these eyes-


     these eyes 
holding more 
     pain
        & 
        maturity

than a girl 
    of fifteen years
 should hold... 


     I take in 
         my surroundings
      and 
      for the moment

      the images are gone... 

 I stand up slowly, 
      brushing dirt off my skirt, 

 and place the lava rock 
     in my blouse pocket...


 I thank the trees 
         for their shade 
    & solitude, 

      then begin my 
way back
      to the village. 





7:30am

[A morning in the life
of a Congolese girl]        



  

2 comments: